Let's face it. Game day gatherings often revolve around indulgent and calorie-laden foods like wings and pizza. But, that doesn't mean you can't whip up and enjoy a deliciously healthful snack option instead. Before you roll your eyes. Hear us out! This refreshing Corn and Black Bean Salsa recipe is a perfect choice to serve during game day for several healthy reasons beyond the incredibly fun flavor combo. Check them out!
Packed with Nutrient-Rich Ingredients:
- Corn and black beans are both excellent sources of fiber, which aids in digestion and helps keep you feeling full longer.
- Bell peppers, especially the red and yellow ones in this recipe, are loaded with vitamins C and A, promoting immune health and healthy skin.
- Red onion adds a touch of phytonutrients and antioxidants, enhancing the overall nutritional value.
Low in Unhealthy Fats:
- This recipe uses olive oil, which is a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat that helps improve cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart disease.
Light and Refreshing:
- The mixture of lime juice and apple cider vinegar provides a zesty and tangy flavor that refreshes your palate without the need for heavy, calorie-laden dressings. Plus, vinegar helps aid digestion, support blood sugar, and provide antioxidants, contributing to overall health.
Bonus: With the right portion control, this colorful and flavorful Corn and Black Bean Salsa is low in calories while satisfying your belly and your tastebuds, making it a smart choice for if you're watching your calorie intake during game-day festivities. Below is the recipe! Feel free to experiment with this recipe. It won't hurt our feelings! Maybe try cumin instead of cayenne pepper. Sprinkle in a little garlic salt instead of salt. Consider throwing in some chopped cilantro (if it doesn't taste like soap to you, that is). Cooking is meant to be fun and creative. So make it your own.
Healthy Game Day Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 2 cans nibblets corn
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or use distilled white vinegar if you prefer!)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- Blue corn chips for serving
- Prepare the Vegetables: Start by finely dicing the red onion, and then dice the yellow and red bell peppers. Set them aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine Corn and Black Beans: Open and drain the cans of corn nibblets and black beans. Rinse the black beans under cold water to remove excess salt. Add both the corn and black beans to the mixing bowl with the diced vegetables.
- Whisk the Dressing: In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Adjust the seasoning to taste, keeping in mind that you can add more cayenne pepper for extra spice if desired.
- Combine and Refrigerate: Pour the dressing over the vegetable and bean mixture in the large bowl. Gently toss everything together until the dressing coats all the ingredients evenly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve: When you're ready to serve, taste the salsa and adjust the seasonings if necessary. If you prefer it spicier, add more cayenne pepper. Serve in a festive bowl alongside blue corn chips for dipping.